Chicken Best Overall
Crave Beef & Chicken
Best Red Meat
Crave Lamb & Venison
#3rd Best Choice
Crave Wet Dog Food
Last Updated on August, 2021
Crave a relatively new pet food company getting a lot of attention just lately is quite fascinating, their main goal is to provide your dog the diet they’ve always wanted, that is their ancestral diet.
Is this appeal just a gimmick or is it really that way?
Being a new face in the industry it’s a good idea to do some research before actually feeding any type of these dog foods. because in the past many pet food companies have been accused of using ingredients that shouldn’t be in a pet food.
If this is the case here the result could be fatal, so if you’re considering to get crave dog food for your dog, you’re at the right place. We’ll help you decide whether the diet with crave food is safe for your dog or not, with that we’ll also take a look at the ingredients used in the product and some other important factors that you need to know before choosing the crave dog food as your pooch’s next diet.
Table of Contents
Your dog is a descendant of wolves. Yes, we’re talking about your tiny little Chihuahua. And your massive Newfoundland too.
So no matter how cute, cuddly, and adorable your dog is, biologically, he is still hard-wired to eat like his ancestors.
Your dog’s instinctual desires reflect the whole prey and local vegetation feeding that his wild relatives survive on to this day.
Simply put, he needs a diet high on animal protein and fat.
And that’s what Crave is all about. Crave Dog Food makes recipes with a high animal protein content and no grain.
How Is Crave? Any Different From Regular Grocery Store Brands?
Crave aims to create ingredients that imitate what your dog’s nutrition in the wild could be. All the brand’s recipes are built on quality, top-grade protein as a first ingredient.
But perhaps the best way to answer how Crave is different is to ask what goes into your typical grocery store dog food.
The list is none too savory, unfortunately.
Grocery store brands are cheap, but it shows in the ingredients. They’re highly processed, and real animal protein is replaced with animal byproduct meal.
Soy protein, corn, and wheat, none of which are good for your dog, are usually the main ingredients. And some even add total no-nos like corn syrup!
Crave DOESN’T contain:
- Chicken meal by-product meal
- Corn, wheat, or soy protein
- Artificial colors and flavors
- Artificial preservatives
Only the best quality, natural ingredients go into Crave pet food.
Is Crave Good For My Dog?
The answer is simple, and it’s in the ingredients.
- High-quality, animal protein in the right amounts means your dog will be lean and strong
- Grain-free recipes ensure that your dog will be getting his carbs from healthier sources, even when they are plant-based
- Valuable vitamins and minerals in the right amounts for your dog’s optimum health
- Optimum fat and carb amounts are designed to support good energy levels for adult dogs
- Ingredients are designed to be not only nutritional but also tasty for your dog
What Type of Dogs Shouldn’t Eat Crave?
Crave Dog Food is a quality food brand made in the US under strict supervision in the manufacturer’s own facilities. All imported ingredients come from trusted suppliers, and the recipes do not contain the usual filler ingredients like soy and cornmeal.
The brand currently offers several options, all of them designed for healthy adult dogs. A healthy, adult dog of any breed and size should do well on this well-balanced, tasty Dog food.
Crave is NOT for your dog if:
- It is a puppy or adolescent
- It is a senior, rather than an adult
- Your dog has a health condition such as diabetes that demands a special diet
- Your dog is allergic to any of the ingredients contained in the formula.
Top 5 Dog Food Recipes from Crave
1-Crave Grain-Free High-Protein Adult Dry Dog Food – (Chicken Best Overall)
Just like all other Crave dog foods, this one is high on protein, containing all of 34%. Add to that the quality natural plant ingredients that add in the necessary amount of carbohydrates, and you have a top-quality recipe that your dog will love.
- Chicken rarely causes allergies in dogs. So if your dog is prone to allergies, this is a great option to try
- 34% protein gives your dog lean muscle
- Real chicken is used as a first ingredient
- Dog owners have commented on how much their finicky dog loves the flavor of the chicken. So if yours is a picky eater, they just may go with this.
- Chicken is a slice of easier meat to digest than say beef or pork. So if your dog’s tummy is delicate, this could be a good choice.
- Good quality ingredients all-round
- Dog Food is supplemented with the most essential vitamins and minerals that a dog needs
- Not suitable for dogs that have chicken allergies
- Some customers have complained about the bag arriving in poor condition
2-Crave Grain-Free High-Protein Adult Dry Dog Food – Lamb&Venison (Best Red Meat)
If your dog likes his red meat, the lamb & venison recipe from Crave will likely have him ready and eager for every meal you serve. And just as with all other Crave dog food products, you can be sure your dog is getting top-quality meat protein as a first ingredient.
- Contains real lamb & venison as a first ingredient
- The same 34% protein as our top pick
- Great for dogs that prefer red meat over white
- A hit with a dog that loves the taste of game meat
- Lamb is a rich source of B-vitamins, selenium, and zinc
- Venison is game meat and adds a rich aroma that many dogs love
- Some dog owners have noted that their picky dogs don’t like this flavor
- May not be the best option for a dog with a sensitive tummy
- Some dog owners have complained that their dogs have very smelly gas after eating this Dog food
3-Crave High Protein Grain Free Paté Adult Wet Dog Food (Turkey Best For Delicate Tummies)
The entire range of dog food from Crave is designed specifically for adult dogs, not puppies or seniors. But even so, some dogs just prefer a softer, mushier texture. If yours is one of these, this turkey pate is a healthy, delicious way to feed your dog.
- Great for dogs that don’t like hard, dry kibble and prefer a softer, wetter chew
- Mild turkey meat as the main protein source makes it excellent for dogs with sensitive stomachs
- Easier for your dog to digest than regular dry Dog food, especially if your dog is recovering from illness and is still a little weak
- Still contains the same 34% protein and high-quality ingredients that Crave’s dry dog food versions have
- Dogs with tooth problems may find this easier to eat than dry kibble
- May cause your dog to have a softer, looser stool
- Won’t be a favorite with your dog if he hates mushy stuff
4-Crave Grain-Free High-Protein Adult Dry Dog Food – (Salmon Best Omega Source)
Not all dogs like the taste and smell of ocean fish, but many can and do learn to like it. That’s not to say you should force your dog to eat fish, but it can be a great alternative for dogs that are allergic to commonly available red and white meats.
And salmon is also an excellent source of Omega acids, something your dog’s health can definitely benefit from.
- A great option for dogs that are allergic to meat and bird meat
- Excellent source of omega 3 and 6
- If your dog loves ocean fish, this is an excellent, hassle-free way to let him have some every single day
- Can have less of a negative effect on the stomach for dogs that like red meat but don’t process it too well
- Some dogs hate the smell and taste of fish
- The smell is so strong that even you may find it a bit much
5-Crave High Protein Grain Free Paté Adult Wet Dog Food (Beef Best For Strong; Authentic Flavor)
Beef is a traditional ingredient in many dog foods, and with good reason. There is something about it that most dogs simply can’t resist. This wet Dog food from Crave really packs a punch with an authentic flavor and smell that many dogs find irresistible.
- Good for dogs that like beef, but prefer softer food
- Has excellent flavor and will be a hit with your dog if he loves beef in general
- Beef is naturally rich in B-vitamins and iron
- Makes a great occasional addition to create variety in your dog’s diet if he likes chicken or salmon best
- Some dog owners have commented that it upsets their dog’s sensitive tummy
- The flavor is too strong for some dogs. Small breeds especially seem to be a bit prone to turning their noses up at this flavor
Crave is a reliable, good-quality dog food brand that provides excellent nutrition for your dog without making a huge dent in your finances.
Unlike cheap grocery store brands, it doesn’t use any filler ingredients like soy, corn, or wheat. It also doesn’t contain any artificial colors, flavors, or preservatives.
There are different recipes for dogs available from Crave, but our hands-down favorite is their grain-free high-protein adult dog food with chicken.
Chicken is white meat with a gentle flavor that most dogs, even extremely picky ones, seem to love. It is also a slice of meat that dogs generally find easy to digest, so is a good option for pets with sensitive tummies.
The formula may be high on protein but doesn’t forget all the other nutrients essential to your dog’s continued good health. If you’re looking for a healthy, nutritional, tasty feed for your dog, Crave Dog Food(pet food) is certainly worth a try. Hope you find this dog food review article helpful.