Last Updated on February, 2023
Training any dog breed can prove to be a challenging task. It’s the same case if you want to teach your Pitbull. Pitbulls can be aggressive and it’s important to start training them at an early age.
Shock collars are excellent devices to train many types of dogs including Pitbulls. Due to their quick learning ability, they will be able to understand the use of a training collar early on. The use of shock collars on Pitbulls is an effective and constructive way to train them.
With so many options to choose from, you might be wondering if all these shock collars do what they prove they can do. That’s why you must be well-informed on how to select the best training collar for your dog.
Here’s a roundup of the best shock collars for Pitbulls. It will give you a better overview on the benefits and drawbacks of the top 10 shock collars inthe market. Thereby you can make an informed decision when going to buy a new collar for your Pitbull.
Table of Contents
- Top 10 Best Shock Collars for Pitbulls
- 1. Educator Dog Collar (Best Shock Collar For Pitbulls)
- 2. Garmin Delta Sport Xc Bundle (2nd Best Choice)
- 3. Sportdog Brand 425x Remote Trainers (3rd Best Choice)
- 4. Pet Resolve
- 5. Educator K9 Handler (Remote Dog Training Collar)
- 6. Slopehill Dog Training Collar
- 7. Dogtra 1902s
- 8. Dogtra 200c – Rechargeable Shock Collar For Pitbulls
- 9. NVK Dog Training Collar
- 10. Patpet Shock Collar For Dogs
- What to Look for When Purchasing a Shock Collar?
- Shock Collar Stimulation Modes
- Why Does a Pitbull Need a Shock Collar?
- How to Train a Pitbull With a Shock Collar?
- Pros and Cons of Using a Best Shock Collar On a Pitbull
- Are Shock Collars Effective On Pitbulls?
- At What Age Can I Begin To Use Shock Collar On A Pitbull?
- Do Shock Collars Make Pitbulls Aggressive?
- Are Shock Collars Suitable To Use On Aggressive Dogs?
- Are Shock Collars Bad For Pitbulls?
- Will A Shock Collar Keep My Pitbull From Running Away?
- Which Is Better For A Pitbull: Collar Or Harness?
- How Do I Get My Pitbull To Stop Pulling?
- Does Every Pitbull Require A Shock Collar For Training?
Top 10 Best Shock Collars for Pitbulls
You may think that training your Pitbull using a training collar is difficult. However, with the correct device in hand, you’re well on your way to teaching your dog good behavior.
Check out this list of the top-rated shock collars available in the market today. Determine which one suits your Pitbull the most, and start training your dog right away!
1. Educator Dog Collar (Best Shock Collar For Pitbulls)
The Educator Dog Collar has an innovative handheld design similar to a stopwatch. It allows pet owners and professional dog trainers to operate the device while also keeping an eye on their dogs.
This collar’s unique feature is that it delivers a tapping sensation instead of a shock like most other collars do. This isn’t a sharp sensation and feels like a nub on the skin. Rest assured that your dog will not feel it as a strong shock.
It has selectable stimulation levels from 1 to 100. If you have a very aggressive dog you can use a higher stimulation level. Overall, it is the best training collar for Pitbulls.
The collar fits dogs that are 20 pounds or larger. It is a great option if your furry friend is large. It works in a 5280 ft range. This collar has two modes; tone and vibration.
- Selectable stimulation level from 1 to 100 with additional boost stimulus selectable from 1 to 60
- Delivers a tapping sensation similar to a vibration but more intense than it.
- Two stimulation modes: tone and vibration
- Works in 5280 ft range
- Fits dogs that are 20 pounds and larger
- A transmitter and collar receiver that is waterproof
- Consists of a tracking light for use in the dark
- Pavlovian tone
- Shock resistant
2. Garmin Delta Sport Xc Bundle (2nd Best Choice)
Garmin Delta Sport Xc Bundle has three stimulation modes and improved stimulation levels. It features 36 momentary and continuous stimulation levels and vibration and tone. It allows you to work with varying stimulation modes and levels according to your dog’s temperament.
The device has a battery life of 80 hours per charge. It means you can use the device when you are out on the field and not worry about low battery power.
It works in a 3960 ft range, ideal for correcting your dog’s behavior when out in the open field. The coverage is great as you don’t have to worry about the device failing to work because your Pitbull has gone far.
The device has five training configurations to cover a range of different behavioral issues. So you can use it on even the most stubborn dog out there.
Another unique feature is the built-in BarkLimiter, with Advanced Bark Correction Technology, that is adjustable from the handheld. It’s a great collar to use if your dog frequently barks or if its barking is too noisy.
- LCD display suitable for low-light conditions
- Replaceable contact points
- Works in a 3960 ft range
- Three stimulation modes
- 36 levels of momentary and constant stimulation
- 3-button handheld controller
3. Sportdog Brand 425x Remote Trainers (3rd Best Choice)
Sportdog Brand 425x Remote Trainers is one of the best shock collars for high-drive dogs. You can use it simultaneously on three dogs by purchasing additional collars for each and operating all of them with a single remote.
The device comes with 21 momentary or continuous stimulation levels and vibration and tone. It gives you the choice of using the collar on dogs with varying temperament levels.
The collar will fit your small pooch or large furry friend, as it has a neck size range of 5” – 22” suitable to put on dogs starting from 8 pounds.
It is one of the many waterproof shock collars that is submersible to 25 feet using dryer technology. Rain or shine, you can use it to train your Pitbull.
The training collar works in a range of 1500 ft. This is fairly good coverage to keep your dog under your control when out in the field.
- 21 stimulation levels and three stimulation modes; tone, vibration and shock
- Works in a 1500 ft range
- Lithium-Ion rechargeable dog shock collar batteries with a quick 2-hour charge
4. Pet Resolve
Pet Resolve e-collar has a Lithium-Ion rechargeable battery and works in a 3960ft range. It is suitable for an outdoor trainer who can keep a lookout for his Pitbull even from a far distance.
This collar has up to ten levels of continuous and momentary shock. It works in three stimulation modes: tone, vibration and shock.
It is an easy and comfortable collar that does not have allergic effects on your dog. It is waterproof, which is excellent to endure swimming and playtime in the rain.
Do you want to train more than one dog at a time? Then this is the collar for you. You can simultaneously train up to three dogs using a signal remote, as long as you purchase enough dog training collars.
- Ten stimulation levels
- Three stimulation modes; tone, vibration and shock
- Works in a 3960 ft range
- Suitable for multiple dog breeds
- Ten different vibration levels
5. Educator K9 Handler (Remote Dog Training Collar)
Educator K9 Handler is a remote dog training collar suitable for working dogs in tactical environments. It has a range of 5280 ft which means you can control your dog from a long distance. It’s a great option if you’re constantly training your dog in the field.
This bungee collar is super-easy to put on and remove from your dog’s neck. Your dog will not feel you put it or remove it which will make the process easy for you.
The e collar has 100 stimulation levels and 60 boost levels with a Pavlovian tone.
The collar is suitable for dogs 20lb and larger and consists of a security keypad lock feature. It locks the remote or at least switches off the shock feature to avoid accidental press of buttons.
- Bungee collar
- Ergonomic stopwatch design
- 528 ft range
- 100 static stimulation levels and 60 boost levels
- Pavlovian tone
- LED light on the receiver
- Lock and set feature
6. Slopehill Dog Training Collar
Slopehill Dog Training Collar is ideal for aggressive dogs like Pitbulls. It comes with four different training modes: standard beep mode, vibration mode, LED light and static stimulation mode. It allows you to use this collar on dogs with a wide range of temperament levels.
You can use the device for training three dogs simultaneously. It consists of a remote with a long range control up to 2600 ft without obstacle and 350 ft with obstacle. You can easily control your dog from afar when training out in the field.
This adjustable training collar comes with two collars to choose from according to the comfort level. One is a soft nylon collar, and the other is a shiny black collar. You can select either depending on how comfortable your dog feels.
It is suitable for dogs ranging from 10 to 110 pounds. You can easily fit this collar in your pooch or large furry friend.
- Four stimulation modes
- Range: 2600 ft obstacle-free and 350 ft with obstacle
7. Dogtra 1902s
Dogtra 1902s shock collar is especially suitable for stubborn dogs. It is similar to the Dogtra 1900s. The Dogtra 1900s is a single dog version, whereas Dogtra 1920s is a dual dog version, where you can simultaneously control two dogs.
You can use this electronic collar for dogs who weigh 20 pounds or more. There are 127 stimulation levels of momentary or continuous stimulation ranging from low to high.
It is a fully waterproof collar that works up to 3960 ft range. Rain or shine, you can use it even if your dog is at a far distance when training out in the field.
The collar is ergonomically shaped to fit perfectly on your dog’s neck.
- Dual dog receiver collar
- 3960 ft range
- LED screen
- Suitable for large dogs of 20 pounds and above
8. Dogtra 200c – Rechargeable Shock Collar For Pitbulls
Dogtra 200c shock collar has a high range transmitter that is powerful and efficient in uninterrupted dog training. It allows for better control of stimulation levels. The handheld transmitter can send signals to the collar from as far as 2640 ft away.
The dog collar is sleek, sturdy and ergonomically shaped. It has 100 stimulation levels and two modes: momentary, continuous, and pager vibration only. The device features a fast-charge ability that allows you to charge it in two hours.
- 100 stimulation levels
- Single-handed use
- 2640 ft range
- Compact receiver with a vibration feature
- Suitable for dogs of 10 pounds and above
9. NVK Dog Training Collar
NVK Dog Training Collar comes with a unique 15-days Auto-Off Protection feature. It has a safety keyboard lock and four long contact points. It locks the remote or at least switches off the shock feature to avoid accidental press of buttons.
It provides three training modes: beep, vibration and shock. It has better customization options with 99 shock levels and nine vibration levels. It is ideal to use on tough, large and aggressive dogs like Pitbulls.
- Three stimulation modes: beep, vibration and shock
- 2 in 1 magnetic charging port
- 15-days Auto-Off Protection feature
- Keypad lock
- Long-lasting battery
10. Patpet Shock Collar For Dogs
Patpet shock collar is exceptional with a unique feature that allows blind people to use it. Its Blind Operation Design enables you to identify the remote button by touch sense.
Patpet dog training collar is fully waterproof and has three training modes: beep, vibration and static. Static stimulation ranges from 1 to 16 levels, and the remote has a range of 3000 ft. You can use this collar to train your Pitbull from a long distance.
The device of this dog training collar consists of a 2-channel remote. The remote can control up to 2 devices.
It has an adjustable belt that is customizable according to the dog’s neck size. You can use the collar on two dogs simultaneously.
Patpet dog training collar has one of the best batteries that can last for a long time. The batteries can last up to 20 days in the remote. This shock collar has a receiver with batteries that can last up to 10 days.
- Blind Operation Design
- Three training modes: beep, vibration and static
- 2-channel remote
- long-lasting batteries
- Adjustable belt
What to Look for When Purchasing a Shock Collar?
Now that you know the best shock collars for Pitbulls, you may be ready to purchase one right away. Don’t rush into the matter. Instead, take your time to know the key features, pros, and cons of each product.
Being knowledgeable on this subject matter will be helpful when it comes to buying a dog training collar for your pet.
Here’s a guide on what you need to look for when purchasing your next dog training collar.
Similar to the stimulation mode, the intensity levels also affect animals differently. Your dog might be sensible and notice even a mild static shock. So, you can use this intensity level to correct its behavior.
Some dogs might not even notice a mild static shock and may carry on with their businesses. You may have to use a stronger intensity level to grab your dog’s attention at such times.
It means that you can’t use one intensity level to control multiple dogs. Therefore look out for variable intensity features when purchasing your next training collar.
Recommended to read: How to Train Your Rottweiler Puppy?
Additional Training Modes
Your dog needs a training collar for basic obedience training. Sometimes, you may not need to use shock stimulation right away to correct this behavior. (1)
Some dogs respond well to tone and vibration modes. So you can try using these before moving onto shock mode. Therefore, it’s essential to purchase a training collar with additional modes other than the shock mode.
Every pet has its temperament level. So don’t rush into using the shock stimulation mode. (2)
Weight is an important feature that you need to be mindful of during purchase. Dogs have varying neck sizes. You need to select an e-collar that fits comfortably on your pet. It shouldn’t make him feel uneasy at any point.
Your dog should be accustomed to a lightweight remote training collar. It should not feel like it’s having an odd burden on its neck.
Worth reading: How Tight Should a Shock Collar Be On a Dog?
The range is also a vital feature in dog training collars. Without an optimum range, a remote training collar will be of not much use.
Pitbulls are stubborn dogs, so they may wander here and there often. If you plan on taking your dog for a walkout in the field, then you need to aim at a range of at least 2400 ft.
Battery life is a crucial feature of any device. The same applies to an e-collar. What if the battery is dead, and you can’t use it to command your pet when you’re out on training.
Make sure to purchase a device with long-lasting batteries and good battery power.
Shock Collar Stimulation Modes
There are three main types of stimulation modes in the best training collars. You’re better off knowing what these different training modes are and how they work. It will ensure that you select the most suitable mode for your dog.
In this mode, the device sends a beep sound signal to your Pitbull when it makes a mistake. It is a weak stimulation mode as some dogs may tend to ignore the beep or not hear it at all.
This type of e-collar is best during the initial training of your Pitbull. You can use this mode to control your dog when it’s not listening to you or doing unacceptable things. It works in sending a signal as a short vibration to the dog.
It is known to be one of the best and most effective stimulation modes. It works by sending a weak current wave through the e-collar to your dog’s neck whenever it engages in unwanted behavior.
Why Does a Pitbull Need a Shock Collar?
Training a Pitbull using a dog shock collar is effective. It is known to show very positive results on the dog. Here’s why you need to train Pitbulls using dog training collars.
- You’ll be able to monitor your Pitbull’s activities from afar. Your pet will respond better to off-leash orders.
- Pitbulls can quickly develop stubbornness and aggressiveness with growing age. Shock collars help in controlling these emotions in your dog. These dog collars can help prevent your Pitbull from crossing the fence, barking unnecessarily and going to other places.
- You’ll find it easy to command your pet when voice orders are ineffective.
- Pitbulls are very active dog breeds and may run here and there. A command from the e-collar using vibration or shock will instantly warn your Pitbull, and it will stop right away.
- It is an inexpensive option to control and command your Pitbull.
How to Train a Pitbull With a Shock Collar?
Now that you know why you need to use shock collars on Pitbulls, your next question is how exactly you need to train your pet with this device?
Here are a few tips on how you need to train a Pitbull with a dog shock collar.
- Start with a stimulation level that has minimal impact. Beep or vibration training modes are ideal for this. Let your dog get used to wearing the collar and feeling a minimal sensation.
- Once your dog is used to wearing the collar and training with it, move on to the shock stimulation mode. It is the most effective stimulation mode in e-collars. If the tone or vibration works fine, then you can stick to it.
- During initial training, give your Pitbull clear verbal commands. It helps them understand what you’re saying in a better manner.
- Be mindful of using the correct shock intensity level. Shock collars should always be used in low intensity unless the dog is more aggressive. Your dog might refuse the collar if you misuse it.
- Always combine positive reinforcement with dog shock collar training. Using these devices alone will not help train your dog and will only create a negative feeling.
Pros and Cons of Using a Best Shock Collar On a Pitbull
Look out for the above features next time you go shopping for a dog shock collar for your Pitbull. As with anything, there are pros and cons to using these dog shock collars on Pitbulls, and you need to measure both and make a decision carefully.
If you use the device correctly, you can reap its benefits. It means you can train your Pitbull to behave and listen to your commands. You should know how shock collars work before using them on your pet.
Consider the points on what to look for when purchasing a dog shock collar for your Pitbull. That way, you can buy a device that best suits your pet and will rightly serve its purpose. This will make your Pitbull a well-behaved pet and keep you satisfied as a pet owner.
Was this article helpful?