Last Updated on September, 2023
A shock collar can help you resolve most of your dog’s behavior problems. From obedience to excessive bark training, a good shock collar will help you achieve quick and fast results when combined with correct training methods.
Since Golden Retrievers are active and playful dogs, you need the best quality shock collar to wean your dog off unsafe and negative behavior safely. To help you with that, this article reviews 7 shock collars suitable for a Golden Retriever.
Also, the buying guide will give you a deeper insight into how you can evaluate the features offered by a shock collar.
Table of Contents
- The Best Shock Collars for Golden Retrievers
- A Buyer’s Guide to Help Choose the Best Shock Collar for Your Golden Retriever
- Frequently Asked Questions
The Best Shock Collars for Golden Retrievers
1. Pet Resolve PTS1200
The no.1 rated collar is always the best of the best collars compared to the other collar reviewed.
So on that note, the Pet Resolve PTS1200 takes that position as the best shock collar for Golden Retriever. And let’s see why.
The currently available PTS1200 Pet Resolve shock collar is an updated version with new and upgraded features that make it a reliable training solution.
It offers 3 training modes: Loud Beep, Vibration, and Shock. The shock mode can be used on 10 intensity levels as continuous or momentary.
You can try multiple combinations to create the perfect training for your Golden Retriever.
This shock collar offers a super-long ¾ mile range that can easily cover wide outdoor areas.
So you can train your dog while letting it have the freedom to explore a massive area.
An interesting feature of this shock collar is the ‘Remove the shock function‘ feature. Yes, you can opt out of the shock function by swapping the metal prongs with the plastic ones. It converts the shock into vibration so that you can use this training unit as a beep and vibration-only system.
This shock collar has a memory function that lets you resume the training session where you left off. The anti-bark function comes in handy when your dog barks unwantedly. And the night mode guides you on night walks with the help of the LED light.
You can also accessorize the collar with extra-long prongs to improve skin contact. It eliminates the need to trim your dog’s fur. It comes in handy for dogs like Golden Retrievers.
These training collars are made of the highest quality materials to make them completely waterproof, meaning your dog can take them for a swim all year around. The collar is adjustable for Golden Retrievers 15 lbs and over.
The Pet Resolve PTS1200 was rated no.1 because, unlike other shock collars, it lets you opt out of using the shock but is available when needed. Other shock collars will always have the shock to be combined, but you can’t skip it.
The fact that you skip this function as you see fit makes it a crucial versatility because you are here shopping for the best shock collar for your Golden Retriever.
- 3 training modes: LoudBeep, Vibration, And 10 Levels Of Shock Modes for a versatile training session.
- The memory function allows you to pick up where you left off.
- The night mode is handy if you go on night walks.
- Anti-bark mode helps correct unwanted barking.
- ‘Remove the shock function’ lets you use it with only a beep and vibration.
- Extra long prongs to provide better contact without needing excess fur trimming
- 100% Waterproof construction, making it ideal for swimming
- Upgraded by removing standby mode to ensure it is ready for use whenever you want it
2. Halo 2+ Training Collar
The Halo 2+ offers you much more than the shock feature you are looking for. It is an all-in-one dog safety solution that is full of useful features.
This shock collar gives you a versatile selection of training modes; Voice, Vibration, Sound, And Shock. The Sound and Shock modes can be used on 15 different intensity levels.
Using this versatility, you can build a comprehensive training course to suit Retriever’s nature.
The best part is you can apply this training over a massive, long-distance range of 6.2 miles Halo 2+ offers.
Like other collars with a remote/transmitter, the Halo 2+ has the Halo app as the control unit. To use this shock collar, you have to first create virtual fences, and that’s done through the app.
You can create fences wherever you want: your backyard, the play park, the beach, the mall, etc. Also, the app has a location tracking feature that allows you to keep track of your dog even when you are away.
The Halo 2+ collar comes in three sizes small, medium, and large, so it can fit neck sizes ranging from 11 to 30.5 inches. And the collar gives a runtime of 21 hours per charge. So at the end of the day, you can recharge it along with your other smart devices.
As for comfort and durability, the Halo 2+ shock collar is made of extremely durable material that is chew-resistant, slobber-proof, and waterproof at IP67.
- 4 Training modes: Voice, Vibration, Sound, And Shock, with Sound and Shock modes usable on 15 different levels of intensities. It gives you a flexible window to determine the best combinations your dog is sensitive to.
- The 6.2 miles of range gives you a massive area to work with, no matter the terrain.
- The Halo app allows effortless finger-tap control over the system, so you don’t have to spend much time.
- Crafted out of extremely durable materials to ensure it withstands the dog test for long-term use.
- The 21 hours of run time per charge ensures it is ready for daily use.
- Waterproof rated IP67 so your dog can enjoy the water.
3. Educator E-Collar Humane Dog Training Collar
The Educator E-collar is a lightweight system that is gentle but, at the same time, powerful enough to suit different dog temperaments.
This shock collar has tone, vibration, and static prompts, which can be used as vibration and tone only mode or vibration, tone, and static.
You can use the static prompt on 100 levels of regular or 60 levels of boosted stimulation. It gives you many possible combinations to fine-tune the collar to your dog’s exact temperament.
This shock collar features a stopwatch-style handheld transmitter with a no-look design so the trainer can easily operate the buttons while training.
And the transmitter has a range of ½ mile for long-distance communication.
Powered by rechargeable Li-Po batteries, the collar and remote have a quick 2-hour recharge. And the low battery indicators will keep you informed of the battery status.
These shock collars have a fully waterproof construction that is also shock resistant to withstand long-term and frequent use, even around water.
- A no-look design for effortless fingertip button operation
- 3 training modes: tone, vibration, and static stimulation prompts.
- Static stimulation can be worked on 100 levels of regular/ smooth static or 60 levels of boost stimulation for high-distraction situations. It gives many possibilities to work with.
- Lock and set function save the training sensitivities on the remote so you don’t have to recalibrate it.
- Fully waterproof to 500 ft and shock resistant to 5000 G-force to ensure durability.
- The replaceable rechargeable Li-Po batteries allow a 2-hour quick charge lasting up to 2 days.
- The night tracking light on the collar keeps the dog safe and visible at night.
4. SportDOG Brand SportTrainer Remote Trainers
The SportDOG Brand® SportTrainer 1275 unit can control up to 6 dogs over a ¾ mile range with a single remote. It is an ideal system to field training multiple dogs.
The remote features an OLED screen to display information like the selected dog, the mode, the static stimulation, and the battery status.
The remote has large buttons to allow easy toggle among dogs and stimulation levels.
The collar can be adjusted to fit dog neck sizes from 5″ – 22″ so you can adjust to your Retriever’s neck size.
This dog shock collar features tone, vibration, and10 levels of static stimulation to allow the trainer to customize a training process accommodating varying learning curves of different dogs.
You can use the static mode on continuous, momentary, rising, or boosted continuous static stimulations options.
The collar and transmitter run on rechargeable lithium-ion batteries with a quick 2-hour recharge period and long working life. And the use of DryTek® Technology keeps the system waterproof and submersible up to 25 feet, so it is usable through various wet conditions.
- Tone, vibration, and10 levels of static stimulation allow more customized training.
- Expandable to train up to 6 dogs simultaneously
- The OLED screen displays the current status of the training variables at just a glance.
- Static application styles: continuous, momentary, rising, or boosted continuous static simulations can be used to suit different dog temperaments.
- The transmitter features large buttons for easy toggling.
- It uses rechargeable lithium-ion batteries for long battery life, so you don’t have to recharge often.
- The Battery life indicator warns you of low battery levels to ensure timely recharge.
- It uses DryTek® technology to make it waterproof, allowing submersion up to 25 feet.
5. PetSpy Dog Shock Collar With 1950ft Remote
The PetSpy P620 Pro is a field training system that combines the latest technology to offer multiple features to facilitate all your dog’s training requirements.
These dog shock collars offer 3 training modes: static, vibration, and sound.
The static shock and vibration modes operate on 1-16 adjustable intensity levels.
With these many options, you can find the perfect balance to effectively correct your dog without compromising its comfort.
The blind design of the remote featuring easy-to-use buttons ensures full focus on the training while allowing long-distance control over 650 yards for safe training even when off-leash. Also, the collar is adjustable for dogs weighing 10 lbs to 120 lbs.
This shock collar’s durable and waterproof quality makes it great for all outdoor enthusiasts. The high-quality construction ensures frequent use even in the rain.
Rechargeable Li-ion batteries power the collar and the remote. And the fast charging technology, you have a collar with a long-lasting battery life ready to use whenever.
- 3 humane training modes: sound, 16 vibration, and static shock levels to allow versatile training.
- 650 yards of long-distance control for effective communication in large areas.
- Blind design featuring distinguishable buttons to allow easy use
- Rechargeable lithium batteries provide stable power and long-lasting battery life, so they are ready for training whenever you want.
- Durable and 100% Waterproof ensures reliable and frequent use even in the water.
6. My Pet Command Dog Training Collar
The My Pet Command dog shock collar has 3 stimulation types: static, vibration, and tone. The vibration and static can be used on 10 levels to find your dog’s sensitivities.
This training kit has a long range and long battery life. A long range of 1.25 miles allows you to train in large open terrains. And the long battery life avoids the need for frequent recharge.
These shock collar kits are highly durable and IPX7 waterproof, so you don’t have to worry about taking your dog to the beach or pool.
And you can also train in the rain. The bright beacon flashing lights on the collar will help keep track of your dog at night. Also, the collar is adjustable to fit neck sizes of 8.2” – 26.5″.
- 3 stimulations: tone, 10 levels of vibration, and static for effective training
- Long range of 1.25 miles to train on large and open terrains
- Long battery life ensures long run times before needing a recharge
- IPX7 waterproof construction to allow your dog to have fun in the water.
7. DT Systems IDT-Plus Micro Dog Trainer Collar
The DT systems Micro IDT-plus works over a range of 900 yards and is expandable for up to 3 dogs.
This shock collar for Golden Retrievers features vibration, gentle touch, and static stimulations.
The static is applicable as momentary/nick or continuous styles as you see fit for your dog’s temperament.
Running on a rechargeable Ni-MH battery, this training collar has a built-in safety shut-off system to ensure safe use.
The collar is lightweight, compact, fully waterproof, and adjustable. The collar also has an internal antenna system to notify the maxx range and a smart LED light that is especially handy for nighttime use.
- 3 stimulations: vibration, gentle touch, and static as a nick or continuous to let you create the most suitable training for your dog.
- The built-in safety shut-off system ensures the safe use of the collar without compromising your dog’s comfort.
- The completely waterproof nature of the collar allows your dog to have fun in the water.
A Buyer’s Guide to Help Choose the Best Shock Collar for Your Golden Retriever
Before you decide on a collar, you must consider a few factors and the functionality of these factors to determine if the collar can fulfill your needs. Below are a few factors that will help you make the best purchase for your Golden Retriever.
1. Purpose of Purchase
Shock collars should strictly be used as a training tool for behavior modification like excessive barking, aggressive behavior, or basic day-to-day obedience.
Determining the purpose of purchase will help you choose the most suitable shock collar to fulfill your purpose effectively.
For example, if you need a shock collar to correct unwanted barking, a collar like the Pet Resolve would be the best bet, as it includes an anti-bark function targeted at such corrections. Besides, you can use the same collar for overall obedience too.
2. Effective Coverage & Range
Having a long-range to work with is a good thing when working with playful dogs like Golden Retrievers. It will allow your dog more ground area for fun and play.
Choose a shock collar that can effectively cover your regular surroundings and the areas your dog is allowed to roam in so that you don’t lose a connection even if your dog goes far.
It is also important to note that timing is everything regarding training. A standby mode although conserves battery affects the timing of the correction delivered.
So for effective and timely corrections, I’d recommend a collar like the Pet Resolve PTS1200, which no longer includes the standby mode.
3. The Size of Your Golden Retriever
Golden Retrievers are moderately big dogs with long fur. For the collar to have a reliable effect, the shock should effectively reach the dog without causing any discomfort or pain.
A collar that is adjustable and features longer prongs to allow good contact with the dog’s skin is what you should look for.
4. Efficient Training Modes With Adjustable Intensity Levels
Considering your dog’s size and general nature, decide on the training modes you think your dog would best respond to.
Some dogs are sensitive, and some are stubborn; for sensitive dogs, just the tone and the vibration will do fine, whereas stubborn dogs may need the shock feature.
Although the shock feature is what your dog may respond to, having control over the intensity of the shock you apply on your dog is a must-have feature.
Working on different levels of vibration and shock will help you customize a thorough training process that is just right for your dog. And with a collar like the Pet Resolve, you can always switch the shock to vibration if you don’t want to use the shock anymore.
5. Durability and Reliability
A shock collar should be a long-term investment. To ensure it stays long-term, look into the materials used to craft a collar. Leather, biothane, nylon, sturdy buckles, and metal fixtures contribute to the collar’s durability.
6. Battery Life
Longer the battery life, the longer the use you can harvest out of it before recharging again. And this is important because it saves your time and energy from having to recharge recurrently. So ideally, choose a shock collar with a high-capacity rechargeable battery for long battery life.
7. Function to Price Ratio
So many shock collars are available from various brands. And all these collars offer something that makes them different from each other. But do you need all those features?
No, you don’t. But you have to know what features you will best benefit from. Accordingly, you can weigh the price tag against the collar’s features to determine if it’s worth the price.
Frequently Asked Questions
You can gain effective results from training only when the shock collar is used as humanely as possible.
With consistent training, starting from mild stimulations, you can set the right tone for your Golden Retriever to understand the whole point of training.
Eventually, you may not even need the shock function because dogs are intelligent creatures. They only need a little nudge to push them in the right direction.
My recommendation for you to achieve reliable results is the Pet Resolve PTS1200. It has all the features you need for a thorough conditioning process to help train your dog.
Was this article helpful?