Last Updated on December, 2023
Although barking is a normal communication method, excessive barking in dogs can become a problematic behavior that will not only affect you, it will also affect your dog in the long run.
Dogs bark excessively for many reasons such as boredom, loneliness, danger alert, discomfort, pain, fear or anxiety. Most often it is because your dog seeks your attention.
If this barking behavior gets uncontrollable, you have to turn to a solution for the sake of your dog’s health. Else your dog will end up being a victim to stress and depression.
Turning to a bark collar is an excellent choice. This way you can spend time with your dog in training while working to control your dog’s barking behavior.
So here’s a list of the best bark collars reviewed for you that will make training so much easier.
Table of Contents
- Top 7 Best Bark Collars Reviewed
- A Purchase Guide to Help You Get the Best Bark Collar
- What are Bark Collars?
- Types of Bark Collars
- Are Bark Collars Humane?
- Benefits of Using a Bark Collar
- Training Your Dog on a Bark Collar
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Wrap Up
Top 7 Best Bark Collars Reviewed
1. Pet Resolve PTS1200 Bark Collar (Editor’s Choice)
Although I have tested several anti-bark training collars, there has been nothing quite like this one. And that’s why coming in at first is the Pet resolve PTS1200.
This training collar is jam-packed with all the features you might need to embark on your bark control training.
First, the collar is equipped with various training modes, including beep, variable vibration, shock levels, and the anti-bark mode.
The presence of these many modes gives you the flexibility of diving through multiple options to tailor the training process.
This way, you can include the corrections that your dog is likely to respond to and test different levels to find your dog’s threshold to stop the nuisance barking.
Adding to this customization is the “remove the shock function.” To activate this, you swap a set of plastic prongs to the default. This eliminates the shock feature and converts it into a vibration option.
This is an excellent feature for those pet parents who want to keep the corrections gentle yet effective.
All these complex customizations will be difficult even for you to remember. So that’s where the memory function comes in to help remember all these custom settings so you don’t have to go back and reset them from the beginning.
This anti-bark collar also comes with extra-long prongs apart from the default settings. If you own a long-furred pooch, these prongs will come in handy.
Using this dog bark collar, you train up to 3 dogs simultaneously; of course, you have to get additional receivers separately. The range covered by this bark collar is a super long 3/4th mile. That’s a massive ground area for your dog to train and have fun at the same time.
This bark collar is adjustable and is designed to fit dogs over 15 lbs. The collar is made of super-quality materials that give the collar receiver a completely waterproof construction.
This high-quality finish will ensure the collar withstands all dog tests through various weather conditions without any damage.
This waterproof bark collar is powered by a high capacity ultra long-lasting rechargeable Li-ion battery that only takes 2 hours to charge. It is a big plus because it saves time and removes your worry from constantly recharging.
This is what I love about the Pet Resolve PTS1200. Pet Resolve’s confidence in its product gives you a no questions asked money-back guarantee and world-class customer service.
When you look at a regular anti-barking collar, most of them only have 2 training modes, high drain batteries need frequent recharging, are only water resistant, and cover a decent range, nothing fancy.
The Pet Resolve PTS1200 excels on all these fronts by offering outstanding training modes, high-capacity long-lasting batteries, a completely waterproof receiver, and excellent range coverage.
- Various training modes, including beep, variable vibration, and shock levels, and the anti-bark mode give you flexibility on a wide range to customize the training process.
- The ‘remove the shock function‘ is great for those who don’t want to include shock in their training.
- The memory function will store all the relevant data so you don’t reprogram it from the beginning.
- The extra-long prongs are ideal for dogs with thick coats to make sure the dog’s skin is in contact with the prongs.
- It has a super long 3/4th mile range, so you can correct your dog from afar.
- The high capacity ultra long-lasting rechargeable Li-ion battery provides excellent runtimes per charge.
- It is completely waterproof, so your dog can freely wear it in all weather conditions.
- The money-back guarantee and world-class customer service put the customer’s satisfaction first.
2. SportDOG NoBark SBC-R Bark Control Collar (#2nd Best Choice)
The SportDog No Bark collar features 3 programmable modes: Progressive correction, Temperament learning, and user select, which works on 10 levels of static stimulation.
Using these modes, you can customize the type of bark control your dog will reciprocate.
The progressive correction is like an auto-mode. When the collar is in this mode, the receiver will sense your dog’s bark and release corrections from level 1.
The correction keeps increasing each time your dog barks within 30 seconds of the previous bark.
And then it goes back to level 1 if your dog doesn’t bark again within 30 seconds.
Temperament learning works similarly to progressive correction. The only difference is when the receiver can sense the best correction level your dog responds to in this mode, so it sets itself there.
And the User-select is pretty simple, where you manually choose the correction level. The collar will apply until your dog stops barking.
The built-in safety feature, the automatic shut-off function, will stop releasing static correction for 30 seconds if your dog barks 15 times in a row within an 80-second time frame.
To sense only your dog’s unique barking and filter out other dogs barking, this bark collar uses patented Silent Partner™ technology. This technology ensures superior bark detection, whether in a single dog home or a kennel full of barkers. That’s quite a tech.
This adjustable nylon collar (5- 22 inches) is suitable for dogs over 8 lbs. The receiver is made of waterproof materials, and the strap is odor resistant for durability through rough use in varying weathers.
This dog bark collar is powered by a rechargeable Li-ion battery that charges in 2 hours but delivers 200 hours of runtime per charge.
Now that’s some excellent battery life. The collar features an OLED display showing the current usage mode and battery percentage to inform you when it needs recharging.
- 3 programmable modes: Progressive correction, Temperament learning, and User selection working on 10 levels of static stimulation give you comprehensive customization.
- The patented Silent Partner™ technology uniquely detects only your dog’s barkings.
- The automatic shut-off function protects your dog from overcorrection due to continuous barking.
- The rechargeable li-ion battery provides super long runtime, so you don’t have to worry about recharging often.
- Waterproof and submersible up to 10 feet so your dog can freely enjoy the water.
3. PetSafe Remote Training Collar (#3rd Best Choice)
The PetSafe training system features a collar and a digital remote control.
The collar is lightweight and waterproof, so it won’t weigh your dog down or get damaged easily when used in the water.
The collar strap is made of comfortable polyester and can adjust to fit dog neck sizes from 6- 23 inches.
This bark collar has a 100-yard range and can expand to train 2 dogs simultaneously.
To control the dog’s barking, you can choose between 3 modes: audible tone, vibration, and 15 levels of static stimulation for thorough training.
When using the static on higher levels, a safety lock feature is applied to maintain the correction under healthy and recommended levels.
The remote and the bark collar come with a long-lasting battery that charges within 2 hours to give you a 40-hour runtime. That’s great battery life for a short downtime.
- 3 modes: audible tone, vibration, and 15 levels of static stimulation to effectively communicate training commands.
- It is lightweight and waterproof for effortless wear and durable use around water.
- It covers a 100-yard range, so you can control the collar from a great distance.
- Runs on a long-lasting battery to provide long run times.
4. DogRook Dog Bark Collar
The DogRook is a very simple and easy-to-use dog bark collar that operates on sound and 5 levels of vibrations to train your dog not to bark.
The corrections are effective yet safe and gentle for your dog. This is a great bark collar for pet parents who want only gentle corrections to train.
The smart microphone integrated into the receiver prevents false triggering by filtering out other dogs’ bark and picking up only on your dog’s unique bark.
You can easily adjust the nylon collar strap to fit a large dog and a small dog.
The receiver is waterproof, so your dog can enjoy it in the rain and snow and splash around in the water.
The rechargeable receiver of this bark collar weighs only 70 g. It has a battery life of up to 14 days, so you can use it for a long time before recharging.
- Your dog learns through sound and 5 levels of vibrations to ensure safe and humane training.
- The smart microphone picks only your dog’s barking to avoid unnecessary correction.
- 14-day battery life means the collar is ready to use whenever you want.
- The waterproof receiver makes using it in the rain and snow possible.
5. Garmin BarkLimiter Deluxe
The Garmin Bark Limiter Deluxe is another collar that doesn’t require any complicated set-up process. It is ready for use straight out of the box.
This dog bark collar is the world’s first intuitive electronic collar that uses Tri-Tronics® dog training technology.
You can teach your dog not to bark through autorise correction mode, fixed correction mode, and vibration setting.
Autorise technology is where the correction starts at the lowest level and gradually increases to a level good enough to stop the barking.
In fixed correction mode, you can manually set the correction level.
The built-in Bark Odometer™ determines the effectiveness of the manual correction by keeping track of the number of barks while you are away.
You can use the vibration setting if you want a subtle correction compared to the static correction.
This dog bark collar features Bark Recognition Technology that uses accelerometer-based bark identification to differentiate between dogs barking and other vocalizations. This eliminates false triggers that can meaninglessly punish your dog.
These adjustable bark collars work on a slim rechargeable li-ion battery that makes the device compact and lightweight. Also, the battery provides up to 3 months of run time.
- Training can be done through auto-rise correction mode, fixed correction mode, and vibration setting to customize the process based on your requirements.
- Bark Recognition Technology effectively prevents false corrections due to other surrounding noises.
- It is compact, lightweight, and slim, making it effortless.
- It is waterproof at IPX7, so it can be used in and around the water.
6. PetSpy P620 Dog Training Bark Collar
The PetSpy’s P620 is an easy and effective bark collar with a remote allowing control of the receiver over a 650-yard range.
The remote transmitter is made of quality, non-slip material. The collar receiver is 100% waterproof, so every day is great for a swim.
These collars feature 3 training modes: beeper, 16 levels of vibrations, and shock. Using these modes, you can include your precise needs to curate the perfect training process.
The transmitter features distinguishable buttons for easy use. Its mini display shows the mode, intensity level, and battery status. You’ll know your current training stats by just glancing at this display.
This waterproof bark collar is rechargeable and is suitable for all dog breeds and sizes. The collar is adjustable to accommodate dogs from 10- 120 lbs.
The collar package includes a free ebook guide on dog training to make training much easier. Plus, if you don’t get a well-trained one at the end of the training, PetSpy promises you a money-back guarantee.
- The 650-yard range gives you a good distance to command your dog from afar.
- 3 training modes: beeper, 16 levels of vibrations, and shock lets you freely custom do your training.
- A mini display shows all the information about your current training session.
- 100% waterproof, so your dog can swim anytime it wants.
- A money-back guarantee is given to ensure customer satisfaction.
7. PetYeah Dog Bark Collar
The PetYeah dog bark collar includes an intelligent identification chip.
The microprocessor of this chip intelligently detects the dog barking and filters out other unrelated sounds.
This ensures safe and effective correction by preventing false triggers.
These collars offer you 3 training modes: beep, vibrate, and shock on 5 levels of intensity so you can choose the most suitable mode and level that works for your dog.
And the digital display on the receiver will indicate the levels and modes you are on.
This rechargeable bark collar can give you up to 10 days of use with just 2-3 hours of charge. To ensure durability, these collar receivers are waterproof and rated IP67 to let your dog run into or in any inclement weather.
This adjustable nylon collar can fit neck sizes up to 27.5 inches. And the nylon is reflective, so when you travel at night, you can easily keep an eye on your dog.
- 3 training modes: beep, vibrate, and shock on 5 levels of intensities let you choose the right setting for your dog.
- The digital display shows the mode, level, and power status.
- The intelligent identification chip detects only your dog’s bark to prevent false corrections.
- This rechargeable version gives 10 days of use per charge, so you don’t need to recharge frequently.
- It is waterproof and rated IP67, so your dog can have fun in all weather.
A Purchase Guide to Help You Get the Best Bark Collar
The market is flooded with many options for dog bark collars, making it difficult to choose just one. Considering the factors discussed below will help you evaluate the variables and find the best bark collar suitable for your dog.
Although there is only one reason to get a bark collar, how you intend to use it makes a huge difference.
You must know that a dog bark collar is a mere device aiding in the training process of getting your dog to stop incessant barking. You cannot use a bark collar as a substitute for training. Aligning your purchase intent will help you land a suitable collar.
Type of Correction
Different bark collars adopt different correction methods. These days, many bark collars even employ multiple correction methods to conveniently select the best method that your dog will reciprocate with.
Adjustable Intensity Levels
Every dog is different from each other.
Their overall personality, activeness, and strength levels determine each dog’s threshold point.
Keeping that in mind, it is wise to go for a bark collar that gives you multiple levels of intensity to work on.
Some dogs will effectively respond to lower levels of beeps and vibrations. But some dogs may require higher levels.
So choosing a collar like the Pet Resolve that offers multiple training modes and a range of intensities to adjust according to your dog’s nature provides you a flexible scale to figure out your dog’s trigger point for effective use of the bark collar.
Dog’s Neck Size
It is important that you ensure your dog’s neck circumference fits the collar you are considering.
As your dog grows big, the neck circumference will widen. Preferably get a collar that is adjustable to fit a range of dog neck sizes so that you can use it for some time without replacing it with a bigger size.
Comfort, Quality, And Durability
In regards to comfort, quality, and durability of a bark collar, it is important to pay attention to factors like the materials used for the collar strap, the quality of the buckles used, the nature of the fabric used for comfortable wear, the construction quality giving it a waterproof nature and many more.
Considering these features, you can ensure that the collar comfortably meets your expectations.
For example, if you expect to use it in and around the water, it has to be waterproof. Or if you are looking for something that will last long-term use, check if the collar strap is made of nylon or leather and the buckles used are strong plastic.
Additional features that add value to a dog bark collar include remote control access, a collar protection system, advanced bark detection technology to prevent false trigger corrections and other features as you see relevant.
Having these features makes the collar a reliable training tool.
What are Bark Collars?
First off, a dog bark collar, a no-bark collar, and an anti-bark collar are all the same devices.
A dog bark collar is a training tool that effectively intrudes on a dog’s bark by preventing it from continuously barking.
The common correction methods that a dog bark collar works on include sound, vibrations, citronella spray, shock, and or ultrasound.
How Do Bark Collars Work?
Dog bark collars work by detecting the vibrations of the vocal cords as the dog barks. When the sensor detects these vibrations, it delivers one of the corrections mentioned above based on what the bark collar works on.
There are both automatic and manually handled bark collar versions. Automatic collars deliver corrections even when you are not around. And most of the automatic collars have protection systems implemented to keep the bark collar used safely.
Manually handled versions allow you to control the correction through a remote system. Fortunately, many collars available in the market are designed with both modes to be used based on the situation.
Types of Bark Collars
Static Shock Collars
Static Shock Collars are one of the most commonly found types of bark collars. These bark collars release a static shock to discourage your dog from barking.
The shock released from the shock collar is not strong enough to harm your dog but is effective enough to stop the barking.
I recommend using the shock feature of the bark collar as a last resort. Usually, other subtle corrections methods work effectively without needing to advance to this feature. Also, most shock collars can scale over a large range to customize the experience.
The invention of an ultrasonic bark collar is comparatively new. These types of collars are considered humane and effective.
This is another abundantly available type of bark collar. These collars deter your dog from barking using vibrations. Vibration dog collars usually come with a threshold range that can be increased to train your dog to stop barking. (1)
Dogs have a strong sense of smell. Based on this fact, spray collars were designed to target a dog’s nose with an unpleasant smell to get the dog to stop barking. Usually, a spray bark collar uses either lemon or citronella spray/puffs.
A spray collar has a microphone to detect when a dog is barking. When it detects the dog barks, it will release the unpleasant scent of citronella spray. (2)
Note: The spray is safe for both humans and dogs. It’s just the strength and unpleasantness of the spray that has an effect on the barking dog.
Are Bark Collars Humane?
Yes, dog bark collars are humane as long as they are used the way they are intended. If you choose the right bark collar to suit your dog’s temperament and exercise the effective training methods, rest assured your dog will be safe.
Lately, most bark collars offer multiple correction methods for versatility, including humane options. Based on your dog’s nature and preference, you can use subtle correction methods like vibrations or beeps to stop your dog’s barking.
Benefits of Using a Bark Collar
To understand the benefits of an anti-bark collar, you must first understand why excessive barking can be bad, sometimes dangerous, to your dog.
Here are a few reasons why excessive barking is bad:
- It is an exhaustive behavior that can spike a dog’s heart rate.
- Dogs who bark excessively are generally anxious. They may find it difficult to function normally in their natural setting.
- An excessively barking dog can trigger other dogs to bark in neighboring homes.
For these reasons, dog bark collars are the best option to help you stop your dog’s incessant barking. Below explained a few benefits of using an anti-bark collar.
Cost Effective Compared Dog Trainers
Even the best dog bark collar won’t cost as much as you spend on multiple professional dog training sessions.
Your Dog Gets to Learn in a Familiar Environment
Using a barking collar to correct excessive barking will take some time. But using it in an environment where your dog feels safe can help your dog get used to the collar more easily.
Practically your dog should stop the unnecessary barking when in a familiar setting. So training your dog in a familiar setting will ensure the effectiveness of the correction. It will also help your dog learn self-control even when you are not around.
Your dog will realize that the correction is involved with its unwanted barking. And with time, your dog will stop barking excessively to avoid getting corrected. Eventually, your dog will bark only when required. So you can remove the collar when your dog gets to this point.
Combine positive reinforcements for much quicker results.
Training Your Dog on a Bark Collar
Just putting the bark collar around your dog’s neck doesn’t solve your dog’s barking. The bark collar should be combined with training to successfully teach your dog to quiet down so that you can eventually stop using the bark collar altogether.
To train your dog to get out of excessive barking, you must first figure out the reason for the barking. And when you know the reason, it’s easier to approach the issue with the right training methods and commands.
When training your dog on a bark collar, one of the main things you always need to remember is to have PATIENCE. You must constantly be aware that your dog’s understanding can never be on par with yours.
An average dog typically goes through four stages of learning. Following these stages will ensure successful communication and the best results from training. The stages are as follows:
- Acquisition- This is where your dog begins to acquire the skill of focusing on you to learn what you teach. It’s imperative that you make the exercise as easy as possible for your dog to understand.
- Fluency– After you instill the behavior in this stage, you practice and re-practice to achieve fluency through recurrence.
- Generalization– In this stage, you generalize the behavior of focusing on you in different place settings, starting from a least distracting environment and moving on to high-distraction environments as your dog progresses.
- Maintenance– After high distraction-proof training, in this stage, you continue to practice and reinforce the behavior to ensure it sets solid.
Using Bark Collars the Proper Way
Here are a few tips to get effective use out of bark collars;
- Choose a collar that uses advanced bark detection technology to only respond to your dog’s barking.
- Get a collar with multiple correction levels to ensure it coincides with your dog’s sensitivities.
- Incorporate positive reinforcement for good behavior. Only use it when your dog positively responds to your command.
- Ensure your dog has plenty of physical activity daily.
- Nip the behavior in the bud. Address your dog’s excessive barking without letting it go on for weeks and months.
- Avoid overcorrecting your dog.
- Do not leave the collar on your dog for extended periods.
- And ALWAYS remember, a bark collar SHOULD be used alongside anti-bark dog training.
Frequently Asked Questions
For bark collar training to effectively deter your dog from unnecessary barking and make sure your dog barks only when necessary, like to alert you of strangers, you have to use the collar appropriately without pushing it to a point where it turns out to be a punishment.
For this, I’d recommend you go with the Pet Resolve PTS1200. Compared to other bark collars, this collar offers comprehensive training modes, excellent battery life, and many more features.
Anyways, I hope you benefit from this article and choose the best bark collar for your dog.
Find the Best Bark Collars for Your Needs:
- Best Bark Collars for Small Dogs
- Best Bark Collars for Large Dogs
- Best Bark Collars for German Shepherds
- Best Bark Collars for Beagles
- Best Bark Collars for Labrador Retrievers
Was this article helpful?