Last Updated on December, 2023
Barking is natural!
But let’s face it, some dogs bark much more than others, and some bark unnecessarily.
Suppose the dog barking is triggered by the teeniest movements or sounds. In that case, it will become an annoying habit that will end up pissing off your neighbors, even if you are willing to tolerate it.
It’s even worse if you live in an apartment. And it’s definitely not pleasant to be around pissed-off neighbors.
Accommodating one’s lifestyle shouldn’t ever be at the cost of another person’s peace. As a German Shepherd owner, you must take action if you are also in such a situation. And here’s how we can help with that.
In this article, you will find a list of the five best anti-bark collars reviewed, a purchase guide, and tips on using a bark collar for effective results. This will help curb unwanted barking.
Read on to discover the best anti-bark collar that suits your German Shepherd.
Table of Contents
- The Best Bark Collars for German Shepherds Reviewed
- A Buyer’s Guide to Choose the Best Bark Collar for Your German Shepherd
- Types of Bark Collars for a German Shepherd
- Tips on Using a Bark Collar
- Frequently Asked Questions
The Best Bark Collars for German Shepherds Reviewed
1. Pet Resolve Anti-Bark Collar (Editor’s Choice)
The Pet Resolve collar is a 2-in-1 anti-bark and training collar that can accommodate up to 3 dogs simultaneously over a super long range of 1312 yards.
That’s a superb ground area that large dogs like German Shepherds will certainly enjoy.
This bark collar features an anti-bark mode and 3 training modes; beep, vibration, and shock. With proper training methods using these versatile modes, you also can train your German Shepherd to stop barking unnecessarily.
The Pet Resolve collars offer an interesting option: the “Remove the shock function.” You can use this function by removing the shock prongs and replacing them with plastic ones.
This turns the system into a vibration and beep-only system.
Unlike other anti-bark collars that lack variety in training modes, use short-lived batteries and are made of cheap plastics/ materials that do not support a waterproof nature, the Pet Resolve training system offers you vibration levels with a beep and anti-bark modes.
It runs on a super high capacity rechargeable Li-ion battery, fully charged in 2 hours, which saves you time and money. And it is crafted out of high-quality materials giving it a completely waterproof exterior.
The included extra-long prongs are great for long-haired German Shepherds because they eliminate the need to trim your dog’s gorgeous fur. Also, the collar is suitable for dogs weighing over 15 lbs.
This anti-bark collar for German Shepherds is equipped with useful features like the memory function to allow you to continue the training from where you stopped last. The night mode lights up your nighttime activities with your dog, like training or walking.
That’s not all! All of the above outstanding features are supported by a no questions asked, full money-back guarantee.
Pet Resolve also offers world-class customer service for you to get that money back. Still, it’s highly unlikely you’ll want to let go of this training system like ever. If anything, you may buy another one as a backup or recommend it to your family and friends.
- Anti-bark mode to discourage unwanted barking
- Three training modes: beep, vibration, and optional shock provide versatility to navigate through different levels and find the most efficient level to suit your dog’s nature
- Removing the shock function lets you opt out of the shock mode and convert it into a vibration correction.
- ¾ th mile super long range to cover wide outdoor areas, giving your dog plenty of ground to run around.
- Night mode light facilitates nighttime use when on walks.
- The memory function lets you pick up where you left off, so you don’t have to figure out settings from the beginning.
- Waterproof construction allows your dog to swim all year round.
- The highest quality finishing to ensure long-lasting use is worth the investment.
- Ultra-long-lasting batteries avoid the need to constantly recharge or change the batteries.
- 1-Year Automatic and 2-Year Sign-Up Warranty: Backed by a no questions asked money-back guarantee and world-class customer service.
2. Dogrook Dog Bark Collar (#2nd Best Choice)
The Dogrook is a humane anti-bark collar that offers only 2 working modes: sound and 5 levels of vibrations.
Operating on these modes, you can prevent excessive barking without resorting to static stimulation.
This humane bark collar for German Shepherds features an adjustable strap to comfortably fit small, medium, and large dogs.
The water protection feature is ideal for dogs who love the rain or snow.
These electric bark collars are designed to eliminate false triggers by detecting only your dog’s bark.
So your dog doesn’t get a correction due to surrounding noises. And with the long battery life, you won’t need to recharge it often.
- Works on 2 modes: sound and 5 levels of vibrations to keep it humane and safe
- Water protection to play and train in the rain or snow
- Long battery life lasting up to two weeks, so you don’t have to worry about frequent chargings
- No false triggering to avoid activation due to other dogs barking
- Weighs only 70g, so keeps it light and easy to wear
3. SportDog Brand Bark Collar (#3rd Best Choice)
The SportDog Brand NoBark anti-bark collar works only on static stimulation but on two mode settings as progressive correction and user selection.
On progressive correction, the correction starts at level 1.
It gradually increases each time your dog barks within 30 seconds of the previous bark.
But on user select, you can manually select the correction level from 1-10.
This anti-bark collar features SportDog’s Silent Partner™ bark-detection technology to filter surrounding noises and respond only to your dog’s bark. This adjustable collar can easily fit neck sizes 5″ -22″.
These electric collars run on a rechargeable Li-ion battery that provides up to 200 hours of run time per 2-hour charge. And the DryTek® technology makes this dog anti-bark collar waterproof and submersible up to 25 feet underwater.
- Works on static stimulation and operates on two settings: progressive correction and user select, allowing customized scalability based on the dog’s nature.
- Silent Partner™ bark-detection technology ensures the collar is activated only for your dog’s barking noise.
- The DryTek® technology makes it waterproof, which is great for water-related activities.
- The Automatic Shut Off feature is included to ensure the correction stops after 80 seconds to keep it safe for your dog even if it continues barking.
- The Low Battery Indicator will inform you of the battery status when recharging is required.
4. Barkwise™ Complete
Barkwise is a bark collar that uses ultrasonic sound and vibration as correction methods to discourage barking.
It also has an audible sound as an optional feature.
You can let the device operate automatically to your dog’s barking or manually control it using the pocket-sized remote control.
The Barkwise collar for German Shepherds uses Advanced Bark Recognition™ Technology to filter out background noise and detect only your dog’s barking.
This adjustable collar fits dog neck sizes from 6-24″.
This anti-bark collar for German Shepherd is powered by a rechargeable battery to save you time. The collar strap is nylon for durable use. And it is water resistant at IPX4 for those German Shepherds who love rain, mud, and sprinklers.
- Runs on two corrections types: ultrasonic sound and vibrations to maintain a humane approach
- Uses Advanced Bark Recognition™ Technology for the most accurate bark detection and consistent training
- The remote control option allows manual operation without going to the dog.
- Durable and water resistant at IPX4 ensures long-term reliable use in water surroundings.
- It has a 1-year warranty and a risk-free 60-day money-back guarantee to ensure your satisfaction.
5. NBJU Bark Collar For Dogs
The NBJU bark collar works in 3 modes: beep, 7 levels of vibration, and shock intensities.
This flexibility allows you to work through different levels to choose the best mode and sensitivity that suits the temperament of your German Shepherd.
This anti-bark collar for German shepherds can automatically stop the barking in 0.1 seconds.
The dog collar can accurately detect your dog’s barking using an upgraded smart sensor and premium chipset.
It activates instantly when your dog starts barking, reminding it to control/ stop barking.
This smart collar gets activated only when your dog wears it. And this prevents any false triggers from other sounds and dogs from barking.
This smart bark collar for German Shepherds is equipped with a protection system that temporarily stops the activation of the collar for 1 minute if it has been used 5 times in a row. This helps protect your dog from unnecessary punishment and keeps the user safe.
These anti-bark collars’ quick charge and long battery life keep the collar conveniently ready for use without needing frequent charging.
The NBJU anti-bark collars are made of high-quality materials like nylon collar straps and strong buckles to ensure durability.
The strap fits a German shepherd dog’s neck size from 7.8″ to 25″. Also, it is 360° IP67 waterproof rated, keeping it water friendly to use in various water environments.
- Works on a smart sensor and premium chip to automatically stop the barking in 0.1 seconds so that you do not have to control it each time your dog barks.
- The protection system deactivates the collar for a minute if it has been used 5 times back to back to prevent unnecessary punishment.
- 3 modes: beep, 7 levels of vibration, and shock intensities allow you to figure out the best levels that work for your dog without causing harm or pain.
- Adds convenience through quick charge and long battery life, so you don’t have to recharge often.
- Adjustable strap to comfortably fit small, medium, and large dogs.
- High-quality finishing using strong buckles and reflective nylon strap ensures durability for long-term use.
- Includes soft silicone covers for the shock terminals to prevent any skin abrasions.
- 360° IP67 waterproof rated to allow your dog to have fun in the waters.
A Buyer’s Guide to Choose the Best Bark Collar for Your German Shepherd
Although the above-listed bark collars are excellent products, you need to consider certain factors to make the best choice suitable for you.
So below, I’ll discuss a few essential factors that will guide you in choosing the best bark collar for German Shepherd. As German Shepherd owners, you must consider most of these factors on par with your dog’s nature.
Purpose of Purchase
You may think there is only one possible reason to use a bark collar: to reduce/ stop your dog’s excessive barking or yapping. BUT NO, there are other factors contributing to this.
Basic dog training is essential to effectively mitigate bad dog behaviors. If your dog does not have a foundation for dog training, you must know that bark collars aren’t a substitute for proper dog training.
And it should never be used because you lack the time for your dog’s training. It is meant to be used as a training aid.
Type of Correction
Different types of bark collars apply different correction methods to stop the barking. I have covered the types under one of the topics below.
The type of correction applied by the anti-bark collar is important to determine how well your dog responds to a given stimulation. If you know your dog well, this will be easy to figure out.
I recommend going for a collar that can apply multiple types of correction, like the Pet Resolve Anti-bark Collar listed above. This collar will allow you to start on sound and/or vibration mode. And only if necessary can you apply the static shock mode.
Adjustable Intensity Levels
German Shepherd dogs are different from one another. They have different personalities and attitudes.
So choosing a bark collar that allows the adjustability of intensity/sensitivity of training modes to suit the nature of your dog is important.
Moderately stubborn dogs can be controlled at lower intensities, but more stubborn dogs may require higher levels.
Intensity adjustability lets you work through the various levels and find the best trigger point for your dog without having to cause any pain, especially when it comes to the shock option.
Size of the Collar
The collar size for German shepherds is important to ensure the best fit around the neck.
Needless to say, durability is important to ensure you can reliably use the collar for a long time, especially for the price you will pay. Plus, thin and fragile materials may not last long for powerful dogs like German Shepherds.
So look into the materials used to make the collar, like waterproofing nature, leather or nylon strap, thick and sturdy clasps, etc.
Although a bark collar does not always need to be on your German Shepherd, it is better to go for a collar that can provide a sustainable run time without needing constant recharging.
Types of Bark Collars for a German Shepherd
Static Shock Collars
A Static shock collar is the most common electric bark collar available. A shock collar delivers a static shock when the collar sensor senses the vibrations as the dog barks.
Most shock collars come with adjustable shock modes to increase/decrease the shock as necessary based on the dog’s barking behavior.
You can also get an effective shock collar for your German Shepherd dog, from this guide.
Vibration collars works similarly to a shock collar but delivers vibrations when the dog starts barking.
Ultrasonic collars are comparatively new. Ultrasound is sounds with higher frequencies above the level of human hearing.
This high-pitched sound can be irritating to dogs. So this sound is activated by the bark collar when the dog starts barking to prevent the barking.
Dogs hate the smell of citronella. A Citronella collar releases a splash of citronella spray when the dog starts barking, keeping the barking at bay.
If you are going to get a Citronella spray collar, checkout this article.
Tips on Using a Bark Collar
- Choose a suitable collar for your German Shepherd.
- Do not force the collar on your dog.
- Always use positive reinforcement when training on the bark collar.
- Avoid overcorrecting your dog. Over-correction will cause your dog to associate the training with a negative experience. And this will traumatize your dog, and the training may not work.
- Do not use a bark collar on an aggressive German Shepherd until you’ve worked on sorting out the issue with aggression training.
- Always remember that a bark collar is not a substitute for dog training. Ideally, they should be used on dogs undergoing basic commands and obedience training.
- Do not use the bark collars on your dog continuously.
Frequently Asked Questions
Well.. Have you made your decision yet?
If I was you, I’d choose the Pet Resolve training system as the best bark collar for German Shepherd. This is an excellent option that allows you to use it as a bark and training collar.
Featuring multiple correction types and outstanding finish quality, they are perfect every way you look at them.
However, no matter what you choose, I hope this article gave you the guidance you sought.
Was this article helpful?